Church Group Published 10 point Plan to Reduce Knife Crime and Support Young People
The National Church Leaders Forum (NCLF) has produced recommendations for both government and churches to tackle the alarming rise of knife crime among the youth.
Recommendations for The Church
- Educate members to raise awareness of young people’s needs and the pervasiveness of child abuse, as well as providing training for youth leaders and young people on the issues around guns, drugs, knives and gangs.
- Focus youth work on developing young people’s skills and confidence through serving the community, providing an environment where they can find a sense of worth that families and schools may not be able to provide, as well an opportunity to befriend adults who may become role model figures.
- Hold listening events where you hear from young people and/or members of the community directly, but these should initiate further interaction rather than being an alternative means of engagement.
- Host events to promote peace and integration, such as community barbeques, peace concerts, visits and exchanges with other communities, etc.
- Have a prayer strategy attached to voluntary groups and businesses in the community, asking them regularly what they would like you to pray for.
See more recommendations here